If you’ve found this recipe you’re probably a lover of snacks too… Am I right? Great, I think we are going to get on well. There’s only one problem, these ‘bliss‘ balls are seriously addictive and I’ve consumed nearly the whole batch in under 24 hours. So if you have a sweet tooth you’ve been warned.
I know ‘bliss‘ balls aren’t a unique thing that I’ve made up that you won’t have seen a recipe for anywhere before but I wanted to try and make a healthy recipe that requires as little effort as possible and as little ingredients too. I’m all for snacks but to be honest I don’t have a great amount of spare time to spend faffing about trying to make something that there is a potential I won’t like.
Which brings me onto this recipe, It’s made from mainly healthy things that I imagine most people have in their cupboard and doesn’t include anything fancy at all. The only thing you may struggle without is a food processor or blender (I use my Nutribullet).
The recipe itself
- 350 G Dates – I use whichever are cheapest in the shop and chop them up a little so my Nutribullet doesn’t suffer too much.
- 2 TBS Cocoa powder – Hot chocolate also works for this recipe it’s just a little sweeter than cocoa.
- 1 TBS Vanilla essence.
- 1/2 CUP Chia seeds or ground Almonds – Take your pick, both work well I just use what’s in the house at the time. (Whole Almonds work too you just have to process them before you mix them in so you don’t get lumps).
- Chocolate chips – I prefer dark chocolate chips and just buy the small packs that you can get in the supermarket for baking.
To make: 10-15 mins (including rolling time)
To chill: 2 hours or overnight if you can resist (I know I can’t)
Servings: 20 good size balls if you don’t test the mixture, maybe a few more otherwise.
How to make chocolate bliss balls (the actual recipe)
- Put the dates in the food processor (Blender, Nutribullet or alternative).
- Add the Vanilla, Cocoa, Chia (or Almonds) and blend again.
- Put the blended mixture into a mixing bowl and hand mix in the chocolate chips (I find this is nicer than lots of broken ones).
- Divide the mixture into about 20 balls, rolling them with your hands and putting them in an airtight tub as you want them to stay fresh as long as possible.
- Put in the fridge to set, you might find that the balls are a bit sticky when you roll them. This is fine, mine often are as they get a bit warm in my Nutribullet.
- THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP… Enjoy!
TIP: When blending in the Nutribullet you may find that you need to keep undoing the cup bit and push the mixture down as it can get a little stuck. If you don’t do this the Nutribullet tends to overheat and stop working (I’ve already done this by accident).
These bites are a perfect morning, evening, post workout snack and are great for sharing with friends and family. I personally do not share my snacks, but you can if you want to…
Thanks for reading,
Love Saff x
Are we pals? You can find me here:
If you liked this you may also enjoy: The Ultimate guide to ‘getting stuff done’ when you’re lacking time & motivation