Recently I posted a picture of Rocky Road that I made using Propercorn Lightly Sea Salted popcorn, on my Instagram. So many people asked me for the recipe that I’ve written it up for you guys, it’s also just in time for the Great British Bake Off one of my favourite shows!I brought the treats in for my teamies at work to give them the ultimate taste test. In my team we have; Gluten free, non-chocolate enthusiasts and all around dessert lovers. This was a successful treat and my team couldn’t believe that: A) They were gluten free and B) They were fairly healthy, it didn’t take long for them to polish off the lot….
Now for the recipe:
Baking time: 2 hours (Setting time) 30 minutes (Prep time)
- 1.5 packs of Lightly Sea Salted Propercorn (snack size bags)
- 60g of Cranberries (Raisins work too)
- 30g Almonds (Again Raisins can be used here)
- 3 TBS Maple syrup (Honey or Golden Syrup should work too)
- 100g Butter
- 50g mini marshmallows and extra if you want for the top
- 260g Dark chocolate (I imagine milk chocolate would work too, Dark is just the healthier option)
This version of Rocky Road is a healthier version of the original, the popcorn is a gluten free substitute for the biscuits and is a lighter alternative too, which means I can have them for a change, YAY. I’ve used Dark chocolate rather than milk because I’m trying to put a healthier twist on things, my team loved them and didn’t realise it was Dark chocolate. I used Maple syrup to sweeten them because I had it in the house and the same for Cranberries, I had no raisins so just used what I had, I don’t see any point in buying extra ingredients when I can use what is readily available.
- Chop up the Almonds into little pieces.
- Line a 20cm x 26cm tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan over a warm hob (or in the microwave) but really watch it so it doesn’t burn.
- Separate the chocolate mixture so you have 100 ml left in the pan and the rest in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the Maple syrup (3 tbs).
- Add in (1.5 bags) Propercorn to the chocolate (don’t worry about wasting the rest I have another recipe coming soon) fold the popcorn in so it’s covered in chocolate.
- Add the Almonds (30g), Cranberries (60g) again fold these into the mixture.
- Add the marshmallows (50g) and fold them into the mix too.
- Spoon the mix into the lined tray making sure to pat down so it’s nice and evenly spread.
- Sprinkle over some left over marshmallows for decoration and pop in the fridge for A) 2 hours B) Overnight (I left mine over night).
- When set and cooled removed from the tray, chop into bite size pieces and serve.
I hope you like this recipe and don’t forget you can adapt it to serve different foodie needs, I could have made these Vegan too but the chocolate is soooo expensive and I just used Sainsbury’s basics 55p stuff as that did the job perfectly! They are an easy to make and fun treat for all the family or just one if you think you can manage, don’t be afraid to get messy!
Thank you for reading, hopefully these treats will turn you into a #propercornenthusiast too!
Don’t forget to tag me in your creations or let me know what you think of this recipe.
Love Saff x